Tuscarora 10K Race Recap

I spent most of last week toying with the idea of running a 10K. I have covered 6 miles before. I knew in my heart that this could help my training.

I looked at the Tuscarora 10K last year’s results. There were a few times close to what I run. It was comforting to see. After being disappointed in not running a local race because “I would be dead last” I promise myself that as long it was realistic to get a PR and have a good time, I would run.

The thought of going into an Indian reservation to experience a little bit of their culture was very appealing. I had mentioned it to my sister that it would be cool to run this with her. She hasn’t done much running but when you are 23 years old, well rested and in ideal racing weight, you just go for it. That’s what she said.

Goals for this race:

All I really wanted was to run a 1:30 race. I trained close to it at 1:39 and since my running has been really consistent I knew it was attainable.


We got there at the nick of time. The Indian school parking had no opened yet and we had to park about a block away from the starting/finish line. I had planned to leave home at 8am but alas, that didn’t happen.

The race started right on time at 9:00 am. All I can remember was hearing the horn and us trying to get our phones on our arms. It was so rushed for us that I didn’t even had time to email my Garmin stats to my husband.

The Course:

Tuscarora 10K course

Very well marked with the nicest volunteers! The very first turn divided the 10K runners by turning left and the 2.3-mile runners by turning to the right. My plan was to keep a 15:00 minute pace for at least 4 miles and then run faster. I had looked at my trusty weather app and it called for under 73 degrees with barely any wind. IT was going to be heat scorcher.

Miles 1-3 were really good. That first mile felt good since we had a bunch of people running the shorter race with us. Once we turned left, I got a little scared that that first mile was 13:41 – I knew I could sustain that pace (yet!!) but kept pushing. That first half felt good.

Splits: 13:41, 14:01, 14:27

Miles 4-6 were tough. There was not that much shade and no breeze. At this point, my sister was ahead of me, and she had come to a walking break. I got a little worried since she had never run this far. After the little breather, she kept going. I was so proud of her!

On mile 4.5 I had a Clif Shot Block. This help some. Wish I was closer to my sister as I thin it would have helped her too. There were about 4 water stations and I took two glasses of water every time, one to have a sip and swish some water in my mouth and the other to pour over my head. It really helped to stay somewhat cool.

I had the Spotify app running option blasting some country music at a cadence of 170. I think this really helped finding my rhythm. Knowing that 1:30 was in play I really started to concentrate on my breathing on that last mile.

Splits: 14:56, 15:17, 15:16, 2:50


I was pretty excited to see 1:31:16 as my finishing time. That’s about 8 minutes better than my “test” run a couple of weeks ago. That translated to being 7 of 8 in my age group and next to last of 142 runners.


Lessons learned:


A) Even with a small field, gotta learn to calm down and start at my planned pace to conserve some energy for the end.

B) Don’t give up at the end. Run your race! Once again, I was within “striking distance” to pass another runner but I just couldn’t do it. It would have better my time, but I feel like it’s not cool when you are in the back. Maybe I’ll change my tune when it happens to me (that someone passes me at the end).

C) Being almost last is not as bad and horrifying as I thought it would be. I got a cool new PR, new appreciation for “mini” rolling hills and hungrier than ever to get faster (and to have a celebratory good meal!) The best part, it’s a journey straight to the front (or middle of the pack) from here!

D) Bring husband and a change of clothes next time to enjoy their Picnic day.


Leave a Reply