Southwestern Steak Salad
Mondays are good days to start + put our plans into action. Since it’s Monday, I’m starting (again) my effort to eat healthier and less. Last week using My Fitness Pal to track what I ate there were a lot of empty + junk calories. To make small changes, this southwestern steak salad is rapidly becoming a staple around here.
This time, and since this is a great way to eat less and still enjoy and feel full, we are cooking one steak for 4 servings. That way, I have salad left for tomorrow and hubby can indulge by having another serving if he so desires. This is great with chicken and even salmon. Love it’s versatility
The best part of this salad, each serving has 455 calories counting the steak or just 255 if you decide to have it as a side dish with a different protein. Awesome-sauce!
- Black beans 15.25 oz can
- Corn, 15.25 oz can of (unsalted)
- 2 medium tomatoes
- ⅓ cup red onion, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (or more to taste)
- salt and fresh pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- juice of ½ lime
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- 1lb of sirloin, baked steak, cut into strips
- 1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine beans, corn, tomatoes, onions, scallions, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl add olive oil, vinegar and the juice of half a lime (or more to taste). Mix well.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix.
- Put salad in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Add avocado before serving.