If there was a rainy and cold day in Puerto Rico, I remember my mom asking my dad to grab some noodles and potatoes from the store on his way back home. This sopa de jamón y fideos was our comfort soup for those kind of days! When I think about it, all I can think about is warmth and family. It was so good. This year it’s been really cold around here. So, when the newscaster mentioned the arrival of even more snow (here in New Jersey) I knew this soup was on tap. Now, there’s some thing about this sopa de jamón y fideo that I just can’t make a little batch. Every time we make it it’s like it multiplies… but, it’s. so. good. If you ask me, move over mac n’ cheese let’s have some sopa de fideos!
- 1 lb ham steak
- 2 sofrito cubes ( I freeze the sofrito as ice cubes, if you have fresh sofrito add 3 tbsp of sofrito)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 quarts of water
- 2 Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 1 12oz Goya Fidelini noodles
- Dice the ham steak into cubes and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add sofrito, paprika and tomato paste to the pot
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add salt as needed (we used 2 tbsp).
- Add noodles and cook for another 15 minutes at medium low heat, stirring occasionally.