Shrimp Tortellini Soup
Since my sister has been living with us, I have made it a point to document our dinners. I feel like this is a special moment that I’ve been honored to experience.
As an experiment, I started snapping photos of our dinners and sharing them on Facebook. It’s been interesting to see the reactions from family and friends to our first 14 dinners. We even have a hashtag #cenaconvale365! She was not all in at first, but now she is starting to enjoy the process and ask for meals she can learn to cook. With that in mind, the recipes from now on are things that are great for couples or bigger batches for when you rather not cook everyday.
This soup was a hit the first time I cooked it for my in-laws. I’m allergic to shrimp which made me stop making this soup (although this time, I used roasted chicken thighs for my portion) as it’s best to have it with shrimp.
- 1 tbps butter
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper
- 28oz chicken broth
- 28oz pureed tomatoes
- 9oz fresh or frozen cheese tri-color tortellini
- 3/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 lb shrimp (31-40 count)
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic then sauté for 30 more seconds.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini and the basil. Turn down the heat to medium and let it cook for about 6 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in shrimp. Continue cooking 3 minutes, or until shrimp are opaque.