This has been a fantastic vacation week! We try our hardest to visit Puerto Rico at least a couple of days once a year to visit my family. For us it’s a win/win trip as I get to see my mom, dad & sisters and hubby gets to eat like a king since my family will cook all his favorite Puerto Rican dishes he
This time around, we brought my in-laws with me so the could have a taste (no pun intended) of the beauty of my culture and cuisine. One of the dishes I love when we are in Puerto Rico is mom’s potato salad. It’s one of those that are simple yet elegant recipes that we only prepare for special events.
- 4 medium russet potatoes (about 1 ½ lbs.), peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- ½ medium red apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring large pot filled with water to boil over high heat.
- Add potatoes and 1 tablespoon salt.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Cook potatoes until fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
- In large mixing bowl transfer cooked potatoes to bowl.
- Set aside until potatoes are just warm.
- Add onions, apples and eggs to bowl.
- Add mayonnaise to bowl.
- Using large spoon, gently stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Now, it’s not that I cannot cook it when we are at home. This recipe is special to me because it brings great memories of all the happy moments I had with my parents and extended family. So, I want to share it with you so you have another choice in your menu when creating your own happy memories.
Here’s a photo of the spread we (and mom would argue ‘we’ is a lot of people 😉 ) We had roast pork, pasteles, regular salad, green banana salad, rice with pigeon peas and the star of this post: potato salad.