I’ve eyed a cast iron skillet for a long time. I’ve been apprehensive to get one because I had this notion that those skillets were good only for great cooks and my skills were not there yet. Plus, this is not a staple in a Puerto Rican kitchen (at least not on my family’s!) Well, that was until I bought one on Amazon: Lodge L14SK3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Skillet, 15-inch (that’s my affiliate link, when you order through my link, I get a few cents to buy more kitchen toys)
Once it got here, the best idea to break it in was to prepare a Chicken Thighs & Cauliflower Skillet recipe. In my quest to a bit healthier my husband recommended to have cauliflower. At first, I was skeptical but if there’s one thing I know is that my honey does know my taste and he knew this was a “safe” bet for us. And anyways, if I didn’t like it, he would have a lot of it for himself.
I also took advantage that chicken thighs were on sale at my stock up price of 99¢ a pound. That makes this a budget conscious very flavorful recipe! It was the perfect compromise for us. The hubs got his roasted cauliflower and I got my beloved fried-ish chicken
How to make Chicken Thighs & Cauliflower Skillet:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on (that's about 1½ pounds)
- 2 tablespoons Lawry's Fire Roasted Chile and Garlic
- 1 head cauliflower (about 11/2 pounds), cut into florets
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and black pepper
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat oven to 450° F.
- Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet (or ovenproof skillet) over medium heat.
- Season the chicken with the fire roasted chile and garlic spice blend.
- Place the chicken skin-side down and cook until crisp and golden (it will take about 7-8 minutes.)
- Remove the chicken from the skillet.
- Keep about 2 tablespoons of the drippings from the skillet and discard the rest.
- Add the cauliflower and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the garlic.
- Toss to coat.
- Add the chicken skin-side up on to of the cauliflower.
- Transfer the skillet to oven and roast until the cauliflower is tender and the chicken is cooked through (about 25 minutes.)
- Add cilantro to the skillet and toss to combine.