A New Twist On Chicken Pizza | Dressing up a chicken breast recipe
Nothing better for the soul than a good chicken breast recipe! Are you with me?
I remember growing up in Puerto Rico that most nights chicken was on the menu. As an inexpensive protein than will satisfy – in our case at the time – a family of 5, we had chicken, dark meat, fried, often.
As years went by, and my family was taking a healthier approach to life, the recipes started to change. There was a lot less fried chicken drumsticks in the menu and more poached or roasted chicken breast instead. That’s when it got a little boring in the name of healthy.
Now-a-days, it’s just a little different as instead of roasting we do a LOT of grilling. The one thing we’ve been working on is to have a moist grilled chicken breast. Well, since the secret to our chicken pizza “crust” is the breast itself butterflied once you get your pizzas the taste was like setting a new track record deliciousness!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
- a bunch of fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Butterfly each chicken breast and pound to about 1/2 inch wide. (We want the chicken breast to be thin as it will be our crust.)
- Mix the onion powder with the italian seasoning in a small bowl.
- Season the chicken with this mixture. Add salt and pepper if you like.
- Preheat a large griddle pan or grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Preheat broiler.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan.
- Add sliced garlic and stir for a minute.
- Add tomatoes and season with salt.
- Put lid on pan and cook for 8-10 minutes, shaking pan occasionally. We are looking for the tomatoes to be soften.
- Add basil to sauce and stir to wilt.
- Remove from the heat.
- Grill or griddle-cook the chicken breasts a few minutes on each side then transfer to baking sheets.
- Top each chicken breast with a spoonful of the tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Broil them to melt cheese (about two minutes).
- You can definitely do all this on a charcoal grill. It’s what we like best!