You Can Thank Us Later – 5 Beginner Running Tips I Wish They Had Told Me
Have you ever think about running but don’t know where to start? What are some good beginner running tips?
That was me a few months ago. Those were questions that kept popping in my head. I had this idea that it all was about putting tennis shoes on, step outside and go. Well, there’s a few more steps to it so you can really enjoy this new hobby!
5 Beginner running tips
1. Running shoes. Don’t. Be. Frugal. This is the one area that you would think you are splurging but once you have a few runs under your belt, you’ll understand. Visit a specialty store and get fitted.
2. The material used on socks matter. A lot. Cotton socks are nice for a casual outing but not for running. Look for wicking material. Your feet will be so happy! Not to mention that it will help prevent those nasty blisters.
3. It’s all a mental game. This could be tip #1! Running can feel intimidating. Keep a positive mindset! Just start slow, we are not in a race, just yet, and enjoy the outdoors or your favorite tv show or a podcast.
4. Don’t believe everything your treadmill tells you. I guess you could say that I picked a wrong time to start running by starting in the winter. The cold, the snow, the cold (it’s bone chilling cold around here) pushed me to go to the gym to use a treadmill. On the other hand, I’m grateful that I had an alternative to staying home glued to the computer. Well, after running on a treadmill for weeks, it was a rude awakening the first time I was able to run outside. Really, it felt like a slap on the face; a “Who do you think you are, Bolt!?”
5. It will get easier. Every single run will be easier than the last one. Trust me on this one! Not only it will get easier but it will be more enjoyable. Pick a goal, mine is to go run for at least 30 minutes three times a week. It doesn’t matter how fast or how far. It’s just the road and my thoughts… and it’s amazing!
Want more? Check out our 5 wondrous tips I wish they told me about running.
What’s your best running tip for beginners? Let us know in the comments.0